MFG Dress the Manneken Pis Contest
Words by Nat Pellman, GM at Brouwer’s Cafe:
Brouwer’s has been a sponsor of MFG cyclocross since it started. We’ve always wanted you to have fun winning prizes, so our promotions over the years have included everything from “Beat the Hodala Rider” to a jersey for the SSers, and hopefully you’ve enjoyed them!
This year we’ve decided to make our contest more team-oriented! We’d also like to see more of your smiling faces down here at Brouwer’s! So here’s the idea that’s been tossed around and agreed on – “Dress the Manneken Pis”. What?!!
Manneken Pis is a sculpture in Brussels, depicting a naked little boy urinating into a fountain’s basin. It was designed by Hiëronymus Duquesnoy the Elder and put in place in 1618. And yes, we have our very own Manneken Pis fountain here at Brouwer’s! He gets dressed up for many of our events and welcomes folks at the front entry.
So during the week(s) leading up to each MFG race, teams or individuals are encouraged to “dress” our Manneken Pis, take a photo, upload it to Instagram, and tag the post with #Brouwers @brouwerscafe #MFG @mfgcross and #Mannyp @brouwersmannyp (as he’s affectionately called here). You can dress him however you like, the more creative the better! Search “manneken pis costumes” on the interweb and you’ll get the idea.
The prize will be a $50 gift certificate to Brouwer’s, and we will announce a winner each Friday morning before the race weekend, on both MFG and Brouwers social media.
Here are a few rules:
- When you arrive at Brouwer’s, check-in with the Manager on duty.
- Avoid coming on Friday or Saturday nights. We are usually really busy and want to avoid giving the general public the idea they can mess with him.
- Come for a drink or something to eat.
- Mannyp is about 2 feet tall and can’t be picked up or moved.
- Absolutely No stickers or painting please. Aka leave him as you found him!
- Also avoid touching or dropping anything into the water below him.