MFG Sponsor: Sub Pop
What Sub Pop does:
Sub Pop is a Seattle-based record label producing decades worth of historic music. Sub Pop was founded by Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman in 1988 with early releases from TAD, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, and of course, Nirvana.
More recent artists working with Sub Pop to release music include Beach House, Fleet Foxes, The Postal Service, Shabazz Palaces, and Foals.
Why we like Sub Pop:
Travel anywhere around the world and the Sub Pop logo will be plastered on a hat, a stop sign, a toll booth basket, or a bathroom urinal. We love that the Sub Pop mark has stood the test of time. We also love the diversity of music being produced. Shabazz Palaces, TAD, and The Postal Service couldn’t be more different in sound and presentation. That Sub Pop has given each of these bands a road map and a chance to produce music is admirable.
Five things you should know about Sub Pop:
- Sub Pop is (in)famous for their rejection letter to artists that began, “Dear Loser,”
- Multiple members of the Sub Pop staff race bicycles
- Papercuts, one of our all time favorite bands, produced their first album with Sub Pop.
- Their tag line at the moment reads “We’re not the best, but we’re pretty good”
- You can see Porter Ray and Shabazz Palaces in Vancouver, BC on Dec 1st